June 20, 2006

The snake and the frog

A baby rattlesnake in Illinois slithers up to a bullfrog on the banks of the Mississippi and asks him to carry him across to Iowa.

"No way, you'll bite me and I'll drown," says the frog.

"But why would I do that? Then I'd drown, too," says the snake.

"You'll bite me anyway. I heard all about this."

"No, really, I won't. I very much want to get across and I'll be awfully grateful if you'd carry me."

Eventually, the frog agrees. He swims across with the snake on his back. When they get to Iowa, the snake crawls off and says, "Thank you very much. If there's anything I can ever do for you, please let me know."

Puzzled, the frog says, "I don't get it. I was sure you were going to bite me and we'd both drown. Why didn't you?"

The snake replies, "Because it's the Middle West."

Greg Cochran


My published articles are archived at iSteve.com -- Steve Sailer

No comments: