August 15, 2011

Panhandling 3

Yet another day pleasing to my ego and bank account. Thanks. 

So, please, would you consider giving me money so I can keep on writing? I think you'll find a lot of good stuff posted over the weekend.
You can send me an email and I'll send you my P.O. Box address.

If you already asked, please allow me to request that you follow up and put a check in the mail.

Or, you can use Paypal to send me money directly. Use any credit card or your Paypal account. To get started, just click on the orange Paypal "Donate" button on the top of the column to the right.

When that takes you to Paypal, if you want to use your Paypal account, fill in your Paypal ID and password on the lower right of the screen.

Or, if you want to use your credit card, fill in your credit card info on the lower left part of the screen by clicking on the word "Continue" in the lower center/left.

Thanks.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Coo wee, ooh wee, oo ee... Geez, you can hear a pin drop on these threads. Ok, I'll figure out the best way to pump you a few.
GP.

Anonymous said...

Steve, I enjoy the writing you put out and by all means think you should be compensated for it, but, my mental picture of you is that you are fairly secure financially. You've obviously had a respectable career in some field or another for most of your life and could probably retire now if you wanted to (assuming you haven't already). Blogger.com is free. Is this blog costing you a lot financially in some way I'm not aware of? Additional home security costs? Is it really a credible threat (so to speak) that without our donations you'd have to stop blogging? Why should a dirt poor early 20s reader like me donate to a relatively well off old man?

Anonymous said...

my mental picture of you is that you are fairly secure financially.

I guess you missed his post on his car, a beat-up 1996 Honda Civic or some such.

Anonymous said...

"Why should a dirt poor early 20s reader like me donate to a relatively well off old man?"

I guess you answered your own question.

Of course most of Steve's readers aren't "dirt poor" - to say the least.

Anonymous said...

That's my attitude here as well: I would very happily send Steve some of my money if it turns out that his income is lower than mine. I'd rather save that $100 or so for my car down payment, however, if these panhandling drives, coupled with the pay for other writing gigs, generate, in a "The Man with the Twisted Lip"-like fashion, an appreciably good money (say, considerably more than what I make for considerably harder work). So in an effort to respond to one of the drives, I once asked Steve to indicate, very approximately, the amount of taxes he pays annually. No reply followed.

Others object that as long as the man creates value, he should be paid for it regardless of his income and, more or less, regardless of the income of the reader - much the same way as market price for a bottle of wine and not the price commensurate with your or winemaker's income.

I disagree on a basis that good opinion pieces do not really require economic incentives. As such, perpetuating yet another winner takes all niche serves no good to society in the long run.